Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Connection

Nicole LaBeau provides an excellent post in her blog where we are sometimes like a deer when it comes to new technology. We find ourselves on the road of change but don't really know where to go and need help making a move before those strange lights coming at us get too close. Using a Tablet PC is like this. We have it, wonder what to do with it, and need some guidance.
Deer

So, why use a tablet PC?
The first response I notice from teachers when this discussion begins is typically a glossy look in their eyes that conveys, "Yeah, so what? I can type faster than I can write." I think the disconnect is that people think using the stylus replaces typing, permanently, and, therefore, the Tablet PC offers no real advantage over a laptop. The realization that one doesn't need to stop using the keyboard with a Tablet PC is something I have to stress. I will be the first to admit that there are certainly times when typing beats the heck out of writing; like when I'm in my office answering email or creating a document in Word or crunching data using Excel. Using a Tablet PC goes beyond the keyboard, though.


Productivity
At conferences, I can draw a picture when, to me, the concept being presented makes more sense being written down visually compared to simple note taking. Writing notes is also a lot less distracting to others than the constant click, click, click, of the keyboard. More than one person has leaned over to see what I was doing and asked for a demonstration. I can write to my blog live (as long as I have a wireless connection!), take a picture of a workshop presenter with my cell phone and use Bluetooth technology to send the picture to my computer and load it into the blog, all on the fly and all without a keyboard.

Cool!

I can walk around class with my Tablet PC and immediately access documents, web pages, recordings, videos, etc., that I have pre-loaded into my OneNote classroom lesson plan notebook. Further, I can work with a cooperative group of students and instantly bring back any information I had previously shown to the entire class in order to reiterate a point and provide more individual clarification. OneNote allows me to digitally have the entire school year of lessons with me all the time. "Hey, Mr. B., remember that time when you showed us that web site with the cool animations of molecular movement?" "Yep, I do, in fact, I can bring it up right now," (from my OneNote notebook).


I can add my own handwritten comments to anything in a shared OneNote notebook that I use to collaborate with my colleagues on teaching techniques, tools, and assessments.


Students can send me their papers electronically, I can ink (write using the stylus) on them, save them, and return them electronically. No paper exchanges hands. Think of the peer editing that could take place should all students have access to a Tablet PC.


Engagement
Various screen capturing methods using OneNote (windows key + S) or the SnipIt! program provide visuals to help make any email note, worksheet, or anywhere text is used, more meaningful.


I can present a PowerPoint presentation using a Tablet PC that is wirelessly connected to a projector and add inking to make the presentation more engaging. Imagine brainstorming on the spot with your students and recording their thoughts using inking tools along with your original presentation. I can save the ink annotations along with the presentation and make it available online for students to review on their own. Better yet, I could go further and have the Tablet PC record the presentation along with the inking and the audio from the class using Camtasia software (available on our computers) and save it all as a movie for replay. Anytime, anywhere learning?


Looking ahead, I can imagine all students using tablet PCs one day along with Classroom Presenter software where students interact with a teacher's presentation and provide visual feedback to the teacher for immediate or post teaching review. This is going further than using the CPS units.


Teachers can create and/or display anything on their Tablet screen and have their students use the stylus to interact with it. Provide a storyboard of people buying tickets for a train in World Language class and let students create a possible dialogue by writing on the Tablet in the target language. Let students correct the grammar in a sentence projected on the screen or identify the parts of a cell, balance a chemical equation, fill out a business form properly, write the next two or three notes to a music score, identify muscle groups and predict which muscle groups are needed to perform certain movements, have students create their own military deployment plans for previous wars and compare those to what actually took place in history, use the Ink Art program to demonstrate brush strokes and color manipulation, and on and on.


Mobility
I've noticed some teachers walk around with the Tablet PC in their classroom and enter grades into the electronic grade book using the stylus and the Input Panel. No need to set the Tablet down somewhere and type in a score as would have to be done if they had a laptop to use instead.


Teachers could also write comments in OneNote to help them remember specific situations where students may be confused on a concept. A digital reminder like this can help them remember to make lesson plan adjustments down the road. Sure, paper can do the same thing, as long as you can keep track of the paper!

I can access information from files on the network or send an email on the fly if I need to get some information while I carry the Tablet PC. I don't need the keyboard. Have you ever used your own handwriting to respond to an email? You can.

Your Turn

I invite you to share your own experiences with the Tablet PC. How does it help you become more productive as a teacher, with lesson planning, and in the classroom interacting with students. How does it help you as a coach or as an activity sponsor? Feel free to build upon a use already mentioned. I'd like to hear about the negative aspects of the Tablet PC, too. What doesn't work like you think it should? Don't be shy.

Remember, one person's love of a particular Tablet PC use may not be important to another but it's the possibilities that move us along. Let's brainstorm and keep supporting everyone who finds themselves a deer on the road of technology change.

Breast Cancer Awareness Pin

13 comments:

N. LaBeau said...

Well, Mike, I think you covered the ways to use the tablet. I suppose you're asking for more specifics; that, too, is why I'm taking Karen's class. I want to learn how I can use OneNote in the classroom more.
*I have used it during student presentations to take notes (beyond any rubric) and then just print them all off and hand them to students, while keeping a stored copy for myself.
*I have used OneNote and the wireless projector after school in my club meetings. We all collaborated on modifying the webpage as I used Snipet to freeze the webpage for inking. Then I simply saved it and made changes accordingly.
*That same above use with OneNote provides me great organization with the meetings, with all attendants, agendas, action items and events. Love it.
*I have organized a course all on OneNote (I"ve not given up my paper day planner yet, though.) I believe it needs some major work, and, sure, NOW I know I could have done some of it faster and easier, but I had to do it 'wrong' first to learn that. Bugger.
*I have made a powerpoint to advertise the inking fun. I used the ExplorePack to create some art chunks that went into a class lecture (no, a picture would not have done, I needed the raw working process, and it was available).
*I have inked when working 1:1 with students on their papers, usually in the tutoring room or when they have emailed me for help (usually not my current students - I'm still shy about the idea of reading all the assigned papers from the screen). I very much found that inking with them as I went through their paper really engaged them more than when their PAPER was in front of us. I don't know why, but I 'll take it.
*I inked the desktop lots for reminders and to-dos.
*SnipIt has been a godsend with class material and communications. Faster and more precise to what I want. LOVE it!
*Oh, when the classroom is freezing, the warmth from the tablet helps a great deal , too.
I know there's so much more, and look forward to hearing and/or reading about what others do specifically, too.

C. Gatsos said...

I am a big fan of inking on the PowerPoint during presentations! Make sure you students turn off their cell phones! You will find a much faster connection.

I too like to use the Snipet tool. Saving webpage images is a huge help when helping students navigate to certain parts of an online sources!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to Mike and Nicole Labeau, I have become a One Note fanatic. It handles most of what I need and I love how it is set up to auto-sync with folders in the H: drive. Speaking of syncing, try SyncToy. I keep a master folder on my desktop with everything I use inside of it. I set up SyncToy to sync this folder with a back-up folder on the H drive and everytime I update a file, I open SyncToy, press one button, and within seconds, the entire folder is backed up. Much quicker than manually backing up files.

Mr. Miller said...

Tablet PCs Rule!!!

I love the inking feature to grade student work, draw diagrams and visual aids that I can save and use for future reference. The inking feature also allows me to take anecdotal notes of group work as I circulate the room observing student-to-student interaction.

The OneNote feature is my "one-stop" shop that keeps me organized with meeting minutes, important teaching and administrative documents, and the best part is this workbook feature stays with me wherever I go for easy portability and access at home doing school work, in graduate classes and conferences and workshops. Another great feature of OneNote using the Tablet is that I can share notebooks with others. It's brilliant!

Mary Brotsos said...

Well Mike and Nicole have covered a lot of what I find most helpful when using the notebook. I really appreciate the inking feature when grading student essays. It gives me an electronic record that I can refer back to when assessing future essays. Are students working on the areas previously commented on.
One note is my favorite print choice--I've saved so much paper and it's so much easier to find information later.
I still am shy of syncing after erasing data because I didn't read through the prompts carefully enough. I need to work on this!

Mr. Jerry Cargill said...

I am relatively new to the tablet, but have lately come to appreciate its fucntions.

I took it to the Illinois Art Education conference last week to see what ways I could use it. I was not sure exactly how I would use it, but I made a decision to take it to all of the presentations. In Inote I made a new notebook for the conference and gave each presentation its own page. I easily wrote all of my notes from the presentations longhand on the tablet and later converted them into text. Whenever someone mentioned a book, article or particular artwork, I noted it and also placed an appropriate tag in my notes so I could check that out later.

I am filling out the CPDU forms from a scanned copy of the CPDU form.

So, for me I have found that to take it to a teaching-related event can lead to discovering more uses for Inotes.

Mr. Hinojosa said...

Hello my favorite thing abpout the tablet is one note. I use it to create my lesson plans and we also use it for our department meetings with a shared notebook. It is faster for me to use the inking. Coaching wise we have created a shared note book as well and we are just starting to see the benifits of that.
In PE it has been difficult to take with me all the time, I lose connection when I move from place to place and I can not get on the DEG or gradebook so this has been a little frustrating.

Anonymous said...

I use the tablet in my class to ink on PowerPoint during lectures, which is a huge help to point out important ideas in the PowerPoint.

I've also used it to grade my student's lab reports. They save them to their student drive, I retrieve them from there, grade the report, and put it back in their student drive. It has cut down on my paper load tremendously!

Another use I've found for the tablets is to make drawings on my handouts, labs, quizzes, and tests. For example, I couldn't find a diagram of an animal cell that I liked for our animal cell quiz, so I just drew one myself on the Word document I was using to create the quiz.

I love to take my tablet with me to conferences so that I can take notes in OneNote, as well, and I've tried creating (though not many have started using it yet) a OneNote group for all of the AP Biology teachers in District 211 so that we can all share ideas with each other across the district, and not just within our building.

Michael Bachrodt said...

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on how you use the Tablet PC.

Your comments prove that you are teaching differently than you did one year ago. The Productivity, Engagement, and Mobility examples you provide are wonderful examples of your abiltiy to innovate ways to make your teaching life more manageable and learning more meaningful to students.

Please continue to share your ideas so others can benefit from your efforts!

Nicole: You continue to pioneer and explore all the Tablet PC has to offer and have extended its use beyond the classroom with uses for your club and swimming team. You are certainly making it an integral part of your life as a teacher and are a huge resource to all English teachers as well as all teachers at Fremd!

Courtney and Brad: I know how much you use PowerPoint in your classes and the inking feature suits you just fine. I know you will be the resource person for your department colleagues when more of them begin to use this feature.

Nicole, Dave, Tony, Mary, and Ruben: I hope OneNote continues to make life easier for you. We all need an organizational tool and OneNote is tops among them! Remind me to show how pages can be shared as PDF's (better than Word)as well as the email feature. Some neat stuff.

Jerry and Brad: Yes, using OneNote at conferences is great. Nicole shared that she had a group of teachers watching her demo its use at a recent conference she attended.

And SnipIt! How cool is that!

Thanks to everyone! You truly are movers and shakers!

Mr. Morelli said...

Power Point inking has been a helpful tablet tool. You stress the important points of your lectures and elaborate on your slides. As a special educator, these tools are invaluable. I can post the lectures with ink on my website. This is especially helpful for students who miss class or have a hard time taking notes in class.

I co-teach two classes, one in Science and one in Math, and the tablet has been helpful. In Math, it’s been helpful when graphing. We can have one teacher explaining and process and the other demonstrating. This frees us both up to assess where students are in the process.

One Note has been a powerful tool in coaching. Our wrestling staff is located in 3 different departments, but we’re able to communicate through One Note. We keep our practice plans, schedules and other information in the notebook.

karen c said...

I love OneNote as both an organizational tool and a teaching tool.

I have just begun using a calendar as a guide for each class period. I have my lesson plan on the given day, with links to whatever I'm doing that day -- PowerPoint presentation, example on another OneNote page, website with content we need to discuss -- you name it, you can link to it. And all those links are in one place and on the day of the calendar that I need them. It is much more efficient. In addition, I've noticed that when you link to another OneNote page and then have to move that page to another section ... OneNote updates the link automatically. That's amazing.

I also use OneNote to write out long examples in AP Statistics (instead of the white board). If I don't finish the example in a single class period, I can easily pull it up the next day and continue exactly where I left off ... no need to rewrite everythiing on the board from the previous day. That has been great.

Michael Bachrodt said...

Dave,

I did not know how much you (and other Special Ed teachers?) are using the inking feature in PowerPoint. This is some great feedback! Thank you! I hope Alison West is aware of what you are doing. I know she is always on the look out for interactive techniques teachers are using to help students.

Ruben asked for some help with setting up a shared OneNote notebook for the three of you. It was fun helping. I'm glad it is useful for the three of you!

Karen,

Your class is awe-inspiring to your participants and to me! Thank you for taking so much of your time to teach this class! I know word will get out and there will be a demand to have it offered again.

I, too, found the automatic updating of a link to a page in OneNote to be a great feature. It happend to me when I was moving around pages in our Tech Coach notebook.

The tablet is like having a portable SmartBoard. I was working with Jan Boehm the other day and she asked about letting students actually write on them. I am fine with it but I think it comes down to how comfortable the teacher is. Jan is concerned that students could access files. True. Monitoring the use of the tablet, however, would help to minimize any potential dangers. For example, I don't think I would hand it off and walk away from it. I would use it as an interactive tool to help engage the lesson more fully.

Your comments lead me to believe we have quite a few people at Fremd who could help with a TUG (Tablet User Group) meeting maybe during lunch periods sometime. I know it may a fruitless effort, but I want to try. I am hopeful those teachers who need to see actual uses of the tablet would make the effort to stop by for that reason alone.

What do you think?

Anonymous said...

Nothing fancy, but while working on a scholarship recommendation, I figured out how to type on a pdf form. Little victories.